Rail travellers use the train to get to work or in their leisure time, alone or in groups; those wishing to avoid the crowds travel first class rather than second (until 1956 there is also a third class). In 2007 the Confederation carries out another analysis of traffic through the Alps. The results show that 77% of passengers on the Gotthard line and 82% on the Lötschberg line are travelling in their free time - a high proportion compared with average Swiss passenger traffic. On the Gotthard line just 6% are commuters and a mere 4% are on a shopping trip. This could change with the base tunnels: a survey at the Lötschberg in 2011 shows the proportion of commuters has risen from 4% to 9%, with the total number of those travelling for work up from 13% to 22%.
« Good passenger information is essential to successful self-rescue. »Pieter Zeilstra, FOT communication, 26.04.2007